+91-821–244 44 44   
Time: 09.00 to 21.00hrs
  About Mysore
The region where Mysore city stands now was known as Puragere till the 15th century. The Mahishru Fort was constructed in 1524 by Chamaraja Wodeyar III (1513-1553), who later passed on the dominion of Puragere to his son Chamaraja Wodeyar IV (1572-1576). Since the 16th century, the name of Mahish?ru (later Mysore and changed again to Mysuru by the Government of Karnataka on November 1 2007) has been commonly used to denote the city. During the rule of the Vijayanagara Empire, the Mysore Kingdom under Wodeyars, served as a feudatory.
Mysore was the center of the Wodeyar administration till 1610 when Raja Wodeyar ousted the Vijayanagara governor at nearby Srirangapatna and made it his capital. With the demise of the Vijayanagara Empire in 1565, the Mysore Kingdom gradually achieved independence and became a sovereign state by the time of King Narasaraja Wodeyar (1637).When the kingdom came under the rule of Tipu Sultan, he demolished much of Mysore town to remove any traces of the Wodeyar rule. After Tipu Sultan's death in the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War in 1799, the capital of the kingdom was moved back to Mysore.
The administration was looked after by Diwan Purnaiah, since the Wodeyar king Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar was a minor. Purnaiah is credited to have been responsible for many improvements in the Mysore city, mainly in relation to public works.In 1831, Mysore lost its status as the administrative centre of the kingdom when Mark Cubbon, the British commissioner, moved the capital to Bangalore.However it regained this status in 1881, when the British handed the power back to the Wodeyars.The city remained the capital of the Wodeyars till 1947 with Mysore Palace as the centre of administration.
  About Us | Contact Us | Feedback | Sitemap
Copyright � skywaytour 2012